There are some things that a healthcare organization can do to mitigate the risks inherent in off shoring. Setting up a organization for off shoring is a two-part effort. The first part is a clean room at the off shore site and the second is a secure Virtual Desktop Image (VDI).
One international organization set up a Clean Room with the following requirements:
1. The room needs to be secure with controlled access.
2. Only approved personnel are allowed in the room.
3. All personnel must have an approved background check prior to accessing the room (local background check equivalent to what we require for Trinity Health employees).
4. No personal electronic devices are allowed in the room. This includes cameras, electronic storage devices, and music devices.
5. Printing is restricted.
6. Access to the room is monitored to ensure these requirements are met.
This room was used for medical transcription and its use helped convince the healthcare organization to allow offshoring of this service.
Another organization required all work to be completed within a VDI environment. The VDI was setup with the following controls:
1. Access is restricted to a VPN connection to a VDI.
2. An image is created that restricts the ability to copy any information from the image to the host computer. (you can only cut and paste within the VDI)
3. The image restricts access to email.
4. The image restricts access to the Internet.
5. The image restricts the ability to print.
6. If a shared drive is required, a folder will be created and access restricted to that folder.
7. The image will not have access to the Intranet.
8. Access to USB devices is restricted.
9. Access to CD or DVD is restricted to read only.
10. Software is restricted to those require to do the job. All software used will be part of the VDI.
The combination of these two methods can reduce the risks associated with offshoring to an acceptable level.
Did you know the NCI has a Facebook page where you can read all our blogs!…..Twitter too!
James L. Angle
Regional Information Security Officer