Another well known business has reported a cyber breach, this time the well known Chinese restaurant chain PF Chang’s. The business confirms the breach and indicates that cards used between March and May of this year may be compromised.
In this case it appears that hackers used the same if not similar malware that was used in the Target, Michaels, and Neiman Marcus breaches.
While consumers and restaurant goers have little defense against such attacks on the digital systems of the organizations they patronize, there are several tips that can be used to lessen the chances of your card being used illegally.
- Hit the ATM before you go shopping or to your favorite restaurant as using cash prevents your card from being ‘skimmed’ by waitresses and staff
- If possible don’t let the card out of your sight during the transaction
- Use your credit card instead of a debit card
- Ask for the manager to personally run your card
- Monitor your bank accounts online regularly
- Above all, remember to treat your credit card as if it gold or diamonds…be careful who you let handle it.