Cyber security continues to be one of the hottest topics in the digital community as well as one of the greatest opportunities for women in technology. It is a hot topic due to the ongoing deluge of news reports of big box retailers having their systems hacked and an opportunity for women due to the shortage of skilled cyber professionals and the increasing demand for their services.
Solving the cyber security issue is and requires both education and training for someone to become skilled in the defense of a digital network. One of the skills that comes in handy is the ability to solve the complex, interwoven connections involved in network security. That requires basic problem solving skills. There are varied opinions about what that skill set includes, but there is general agreement that the process towards working to a solution revolves around these:
- First of all rely on your previous experience…if you have done this before, you have confidence.
- Determine exactly what needs to be done…what is the task or challenge.
- Develop a list of priorities…what actually needs doing.
- What needs to be done so that each item on the priority list can be accomplished.
- Create a plan that outlines the sequence in which each item on the priority needs to be tackled.
- Act immediately…don’t procrastinate.
- Don’t worry that you may not have ‘all’ the information…you never will have it all.
- Keep tabs on your progress…are you making the progress you need?
- Feedback and evaluation…did you accomplish what you wanted…what went right or wrong.
If you utilize this problem solving process…follow it step by step, you can work quickly, efficiently and confidently towards getting the solutions you need to complex cyber security issues. And remember…the confidence you display to others will serve all members of the team well.
Problem Solving Skills